Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rain, Soccer & Thoughts

The Liberian twins wanted me to come to their soccer game against CNS, and even though it was cold and raining, I stood and watched the game, plus its two overtimes.

CNS was favored by many goals and had an impeccable 7 - 0 record. I knew the evening was going to be special as they played the National Anthem and the world of Northstars I grew up in met with Boznia, Mexico, Sudan, Liberia, Somalia and Korea. The score was tied after 100 minutes of play.

I stood next to a Sudanese boy from the J.V. team who told me his life story of losing brothers, a mom, and a dad to the war in Sudan and entering his first schooling, ever, as an eighth grader. The immigrant story is truly American and gives great perspective on global realities. Here, it is played out on a field and you can't make up the individuality of either team. It is something. Quirky beautiful, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment