Sunday, February 1, 2009

perhaps this is culturally insensitive


Let me begin by writing, "No. This is not my mother's foot."

Instead, it is a document of Chinese foot binding of earlier history. It was the practice of wealthy women to represent ultimate femininity. I'm not at expert, but I do know it existed. I've heard of some men having foot fetishes, but I'm not sure if this is what these men would be into.

Yesterday, at the Chinese New Year festival in Syracuse, I came home and thought, "hmmm. What is quirky about China?" and foot binding was the first thing that popped into mind. I suppose it is a disciplined behavior like America's anorexia, bulimia and gym fanaticism (that also contort the body to fit a feminine ideal). Such peculiar behavior should always be questioned.

And thinking about this practice makes me want to walk barefoot in the sand declaring, "Ah, humanity. Keep all toes free."

No comments:

Post a Comment