Sunday, February 15, 2009

Something to think about


Working with the cow project yesterday, I witnessed ten women setting up for a Valentine's dinner in the basement of St. Vincent DePaul Church. Historically significant to the Italian-American, Catholic experience of Central New York for several generations, I watched these devoted women as they carefully laid out table cloths, red roses, pink place mats and rose napkins. Their love of this volunteer work and community were obvious. Many of them were with walkers and canes, but still they gave up their Saturday morning in preparation of their congregation.

What struck me about this was a devotion and sense of belonging and I admired such commitment. What made me retrospective, however, is that they were aged and, perhaps, a generation that is something of the past. In my quirky tradition, I watched them and wondered where such a sense of belonging will be replaced in my generations (where church rituals are not as common). Individuals still need love, spiritual guidance and a place to share humanity with others.

Although I'm not a religious fellow, myself, I did feel a part of their efforts and understood the hard work they modeled. I watched them in awe and admiration, somewhat jealous of their faith and good acts.

No comments:

Post a Comment