Saturday, April 25, 2009

Zoom, it goes so fast.

There aren't enough words for today's entirety, so I'll try to begin at the end. At the National Writing Project Conference, dooby doo me stands and mingles with people he doesn't know -- in particular a woman who looked friendly. She turns out to be Sharon Washington, the new director for the National Writing Project. We were in the Hyatt SkyTop, a rotating restaurant that spins above Louisville. We gabbed a bit and I sat with her, Jean Hicks and Bonnie Benard during the dinner. The evening was a reunion of sorts and I got to catch up with many writing buds.

More importantly to this quirky day, is that I spent most of it at the Brown School. I'm not sure if there is an emotion quite named to describe how this felt all day. When I have more time, I will explore the emotion more: it was like being home, feeling recharged, feeling overjoyed and also worried about how quickly time passes and everything changes. What makes Brown the Brown are the kids and they remain wonderful. I especially loved seeing the diversity in the elementary school and the wonderful friendships that continue to exist all the way through the high school.

They say you can never "go home again," but that is a lie. You can always go home to anywhere that people love and support you. There, it always feels good to pull up a chair to chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment