Monday, June 22, 2009

A Barrel of Crackers

I began yesterday with a Father's Day celebration at Cracker Barrel. Unfortunately, my food was not cooked and I ate it. To make a long story short, my stomach quickly turned and it made for a day of gurgles, groans and toilet bowl moans. (Note to self: A Bryan letter is deserved. Perhaps a free meal will come from it).

While eating, my father mentioned that it's hard to get a diner feel at a Cracker Barrel and he's right. One of our other abodes is Thee Diner, and they have photographs hung around the establishment of all their customers. That provides a community feel, indeed. I imagine that even with a world of Walmarts, strip malls and fast food chains, the ol' fashioned diner can't be replaced. Cracker Barrel tries with the quirky country store attempt, but in the end there is nothing like a dive for the locals to begin their day. Coffee. Bacon. Eggs. Toast. It makes a difference when the clientele are regulars and, like Cheers, everybody knows your name.

2 comments:

  1. What happened to Clam Bar? Do they not serve breakfast? I too, had a stomach issue yesterday...we must be intergalactically connected.
    AR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, It's Sheila Albanese from Kathie's Literacy class- one whole year ago! Saw you on campus today but didn't realize it was you until after the fact. Glad to see you finished your blog from last year and are on to a new one. I think you'll be happy to know that due to your influence I've taken to Cat Stevens and a teaching philosophy of "thinking outside of the box." Hope you're still..er....KNOW you're still thinking outside of the box. Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete