Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Well, I've said yes

I've joined the Say Yes team at Syracuse University for the next eight weeks to cover a maternity leave. Today, I worked with an immediate team and then the 130 counselors who will work with 600 students, k - 3, in Syracuse City Schools this summer. The vision is solid, the funding is secure, the passion is addictive and the dreams are huge.

A lot went through my mind on day one, but above all else, I could honestly say these 130 college students and the 600 elementary students who are being served in this program are being given an irreplaceable opportunity to learn, play, explore, make money and seriously think about saying yes to education in their future. The investment is huge..

The hard work for me and for them is offering each young kid the best opportunity of their learning life, to keep each aiming high and to remind all of us that it can't be done without perseverance, a focus, and an enormous understanding that not all children in this country grow up with the same childhoods. For some, stolen childhoods have been the norm for many generations. The inequities in our culture are the quirkiest statement I've yet to make on this blog.

Here's to the next eight weeks and to the hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment