Saturday, June 20, 2009

Because dragons are smarter than I'll ever be


I had the fortune of being an undergraduate at Binghamton University from 1990 - 1994. The first creative writing class I ever took was from David Bosnick (who now teaches 8th grade). He is married to Liz Rosenberg who was at the Carousel Mall last night signing her new book, Home Repair. If you haven't read any of her books, I recommend you get to a library and start reading. She is a brilliant writer.

I knew John Gardner taught at Binghamton, but he died in a motorcycle accident. His novel, Grendel, is a book I taught to 11th graders for years. I did not know Liz Rosenberg was married to him. I talked with her last night about the HUGE impact his novel had on many of my students and me.

I can't help but find this quirky coincidence of going to get an autographed copy of her new book as a miraculous choice in my decisions of how to spend an evening. I wouldn't have been able to have a reunion with her and David Bosnick, nor would I have been able to talk about Grendel with them if I didn't go.

Wisdom, I suppose, is not getting caught up in the barbaric nature of humanity. Yet, if I chose to ignore humanity, I wouldn't have learned the power of how real-life story is just as magical as fiction. The fates are strange, indeed.

Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment