Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Because I'm meant to be the Johny Cash of Walmart


When I dream symbolically, I always wake up rhythmically aligned to the world. No, I didn't sleep well last night, but I did have one vivid dream that stuck with me. I was asked to bring the Universe with me to Walmart and help them go shopping. What did the Universe want? Heck if I knew. The first thing I did was push a cart to the music section to find an acoustic guitar. I stood up in my cart and I started strumming the few chords I knew (which were more in dream life than real life). When the moment was right, I also began to sing.

And I sounded like Johny Cash, able to narrate my ballads with a mature poise that captured the Universe's attention. Soon, I had the Universe shopping in harmony at Walmart and it felt great.

See, I'm going to keep this metaphor alive for a while. Teaching is trying to help the Universe to become more lyrical in the cacophony of chaos. I love that work and I'm glad my REM state allowed me to see my purpose more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment