Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Making the best use of time

On my way home from Roberts School today, I picked up Abu and Lossine to get them to Empire Soccer practice after dropping his family off at their brother's apartment. Once I got to them to the field, we learned the practice was canceled, so they decided they wanted to see if they could run with me. They didn't have sneakers, though, so we got footed them with old kicks of mine that were two sizes two big. They did great and reported they never ran so far and it was good training for their junior year on the Varsity Soccer team at Nottingham. With all the quirky minutes of my day flying into managing tasks, it was nice to have running partners for an hour. It's evenings like these that I think about globalization and what it must be like for these Liberian teenagers making sense of their worldly experiences, especially on the roads of North Syracuse, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment