Thursday, July 30, 2009

Newcomer

The restaurant my friends and I used to frequent when we were in high school is no longer. Carmella's Italian food where we would eat, do laps, and socialize has become a funeral home run by Newcomer.

Although I tried to find copies of the Newcomer commercials that air in Central, New York, I failed. Those of you who were fans of HBO's Six Feet Under will remember a series of episodes when their death parlor was pursued by a national, funeral chain that commercialized the death industry. Local commercials remind me of this and their advertisements for assisting an "end to life" are fascinating. In fact, I could label them quirky.

So, today I post a symbolic lily to contemplate my ol' stomping ground and the macabre reality that it is now a place for sadness, prayers and hope. Perhaps one day I will meet Maude there.

No comments:

Post a Comment