Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Trouble for a Wednesday as We Head Towards Winter

The leaves have pretty much fallen and snowflakes are expected tonight. The air yesterday, when I walked the dog, smelled like the four months to come and then, at lunch, a couple with many years of marriage started arguing loudly whether or not a conversation about a woman's colonoscopy was the business of other diners at the Clam Bar in North Syracuse. The husband nonchalantly mentioned his wife had the procedure done a week ago to an old dentist, who was used to working at the other end of the medical field, that happened to be eating there that day, too. The wife didn't think it was appropriate lunch conversation and asked, "How'd you like if I told the whole bar you're having a colonoscopy in a week? Do you think it's any of their business?"

And I sat there with my parents thinking it is the time of year where Cat Stevens Trouble begins to play in my head in is pre-hibernal rhythm of gray and bone-chilling temperatures. I awaited my steak sandwich and french fries in silence, listening to the argument of two individuals who've spent the majority of their life together, through thick and thin. Butch, Sue, and their a%#*@! son- a universal theme for a moment in time. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment