Sunday, August 30, 2009

R.I.P.


Statistically, for every one day of American life, there are over 50 murders on American soil. That is slightly over two murders per hour, and so in one episode of Days of Our Lives, for example, the chance exists that another Bo and/or Hope of this world are gone.

I think about this because the first three letters of my middle name are R.I.P. and issues of life and death have always intrigued me.

Statistically, there are almost five times as many rapes and sexual crimes against women in any given day. I learned this by perusing the Department of Justice website because I was curious if there were more deaths of Americans on our soil than in Iraq. Obviously, there are. Perhaps our military might find additional work fixing whatever is going on in the United States.

This is a quirky meandering for a Sunday morning, but a number game worth paying attention to. I was thinking about this because murder has never made sense to me, and Saturday evening mystery shows are always trying to solve one that has gone mysterious. Perhaps the greatest quagmire is the fact that such high numbers exist at all.

Oif. I'm tripping my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment