Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sonic Literacies

One of the joys of road trips are the undivided attention I can give to a good book while hitting the road. The first book I listened to was Barack Obama's memoir, Dreams from my Father. His story is one that could only be destined for the position he is currently in. He writes and reads with exceptional prose and I was totally impressed by his impersonations of the people in his life, especially with his talent at code switching dialogue to meet the needs of the people he was conversant with. His story is absolutely American and woven into the fabric of American history, totally brainstormed before his political career and achievement. Although his words captivated my attention, more impressive was the voice in which he read. He is not only political but literary...of course it caught my quirky attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment