Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Red-winged and mean

In Kentucky, it was rare to see a red-winged blackbird unless you were outside the city of Louisville. In New York, they are everywhere and as they begin to nest for the Spring, they become more aggressive, especially when I run or walk by the reeds where they are building a home. They will sit on telephone wires and try to sing my attention away, but they will also swoop at my head if they think I'm more dangerous than I actually am. Yesterday, I witnessed a red-winged blackbird attacking a red-tailed hawk mid-flight. The hawk was flying as fast as he could to get away from the pesky little bird, and wasn't finding himself too successful. I applaud the red-winged blackbird for its quirky drive to be the king of the skies and streets, if only during the mating season of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment