Friday, October 23, 2009

Garbage

Yesterday morning, before I left my house, I packed a plastic bag full of fruit so I would have a makeshift dinner while trekking onward with my day. Arriving home last night, I realized I never did eat my "bagged" dinner, and after consuming it I instantly threw the plastic into the garbage.

But I retrieved it for this quriky post. Why? Well, I've claimed I'm a recovering environmentalist because of the tremendous amount of garbage I see created all over the globe made me lose sleep during my politically correct younger days. I was schooled to feel guilty about everything I did and it plagued me. So, to get sleep, I stopped worrying about it.

Until tonight. I realized that plastic was designed to make hectic lives more convenient. If I put the fruit in Tupperware, I could wash it, and consequently reused my container. Nope. I used a plastic bag because in the pace of living, it made my life easier. It's the little things that our part of routine that, in the end, are rather tremendous. I'm one loser human being who is conscious of producing too much garbage - an ecological footprint - but I am flawed. I consume and as a result I create trash.

This is a short confessional that has no point other than to recognize my behavior. I can do better, but I question if I ever will. I also question all the righteous opinions others may have for my waste. And I'm wondering, can we avoid it?

No comments:

Post a Comment