Wednesday, October 7, 2009

How does this rate?

Exactly forty one years ago today, on Monday, October 7, 1968, Hollywood adopted a movie rating system. As a teenager, this was very important to me. Of course, I wanted to work my way up the rating scale and see those movies forbidden by my age. Grease, after all, was banned from viewing pleasure because of kissing scenes at the drive-in. When Cynde, KC, and I actually saw the movie, we were like, "What?" (I had already snuck downstairs to see Bo Derek in 10).

It is interesting to think about ratings because our culture has become more lax and tolerant about what is allowable for youth to see; the radio, too, is more vulgar than I remember, but there isn't any censorship ratings with them).

Once we all turn 18, the rating system seems silly. Then again, this generation is exposed to everything on the internet and we're not required to stamp appropriateness on explicit websites. MTV, too, has been promoting controversial reality for over twenty years and they are unrated.

Why am I posting this? Because I'd like a "This site has not yet been rated" rating from those who have that job to decide.

And it's funny. The older I get, the more I seek a "G" reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment