Friday, January 30, 2009

canine cosmopolitan


I think my dog, Baby, has inherited my dog of yesterday, Juliette, with the incredible ability to shed waterfalls of hair 365 days a year. When she shakes, it pours off her like autumn leaves and it covers everything I own like a blanket of snow (that CNY knows way too well). Looking at my carpet of fur I thought, surely, there must be something that decomposes dog hair. It jams my vacuum cleaner regularly and sticks into my clothes. I know birds use it for nests, etc., but something must eat it, I figured.

This is when found out that micro organisms do consume dog hair because, like human hair, it is a protein. The bad news is that human flesh decomposes faster than any strand of hair.

So, I asked a quirky question, "What are uses for dog hair?" and I found there are people who weave it into clothing, including this scarf: Betty Burian Kirk

um, yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment