Monday, January 19, 2009

A sudden turn or twist


One of the definitions of quirky is "a sudden turn or twist." Today is Martin Luther King Day and yesterday I had the privilege of attending the Syracuse University celebration at the dome with my friend Samuel from Kenya and my friend Marino from Sudan. The evening was a reminder of how MLK day is the only holiday where we can sit back and think about social change, diversity, civil rights and making America the strong democracy our forefathers wanted.

I'm not pollyanna with my optimism, but do believe that America is a cultural miracle that is modeling the way diverse groups of people should, could and might get along. I post this video today because it is inspiration and seems like a good place to think about the sudden turn and twist of American history that is existing today and tomorrow. For a second, i believe we should pause and revisit that where we are now is not where America has always been. Many lives have made it possible and, at least for me, I will spend today appreciative and thankful.

Yes, We Can.

No comments:

Post a Comment