Thursday, January 29, 2009

sculpt, complain, bicker, but sculpt


During winters of my childhood, we'd often go to Hamilton, New York to visit my grandparents.

There, enroute to Sherburne, we'd also see the incredible snow sculptures (some quirky) that fraternities and sororities built outside their homes. Given this never ending winter (and the heavy snow that fell yesterday with more falling last night) I think about the odd behavior of making odd art out of dropped fluff from the sky. It makes beauty out of beauty (and the pain in the butt removal of inches of frozen water).

I suppose I wouldn't mind creating a frozen "bird" to the plows that push more snow in my driveway after I just shoveled, but that would be an unjust action. I appreciate the CNY way they clear roads, but still....sculpting for expression makes these January days a little more hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment