Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Eccentric Star Girl


For years, I've seen the cover of this text at Target. My local librarian suggested it to me yesterday, so last night I read it. It's the story of this boy's fascination with a quirky girl, Susan, who comes to his school, shakes things up, and disappears. She is your average ukulele playing teenager who randomly gives gifts, sings Happy Birthday to anyone, and refuses to be a mean spirit, ever.

The girl reminded me of those students I often found at the Brown School. In fact, I find it hard to believe this story wasn't introduced to me by several kids - it seems like a staple Brown text, even if it rushes at the end and doesn't go where I thought it would.

Still, it is wonderful to know there's a writer out there paying attention to teenagers that aren't stereotypical teens. They do exist, and while reading this, I remembered Dee Dee, an African American student who used to come to our pep rallies on roller skates and with butterfly wings. While the basketball players warmed up, she'd skate around our gym as the magical creature she was. She is one of many Star Girls that transcend the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment