Saturday, September 5, 2009

continuing with a rock theme

In 1990, I was a proud owner of my first Smashing Pumpkins cassette. Years later, as a teacher, my students resurrected my love for the driving guitars of the band and I laughed that music that made my youth also made theirs. Yesterday, driving home from SU the Smashing Pumpkins were playing on the radio. I rolled down my windows and cascaded north on 81 letting the late summer air blow on my face and reminisced a bit about music, but more importantly about how rock music can find a place in a man's being in a way that no other music can. For a moment, I wish I was eighteen again (so I could start my transformation to look like Nikki Sixx). But, as quirky as it is, I settled for being the age I am with the uncertainty that comes with it. I captured the days where boundaries weren't as defined and when an evening listening to music with friends was paramount. It's odd to think that my days of youth were geared with Smashing Pumpkins and it is interesting that today's eighteen year olds are creating tune memories for themselves. As the Beatles bannered, "Let It Be," and so I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment