Saturday, September 12, 2009

Junior High School Afternoons


Because I'm at my niece and nephew's house giving their parents an evening off, I started thinking about my junior high school years. When I came home from school in 8th and 9th grade, I remember two rituals before dinner. The first was watching Scooby Doo. Most of the criminals would have gotten away with their crime if it wasn't for those pesky kids. But then I'd watch Phil Donohue (who was an annoying host who'd ask questions and answer them all himself...the whole show was his incessant talk).

The drone, daily routine was so normalized Monday - Friday after school, that I sort of forgot how ritualistic it actually was. It makes me think about the dull patterns of my current weeks and how I will one day look back on them in quirky fondness.

And it also makes me miss the days I looked like Shaggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment