Monday, September 7, 2009

Thinking about humanity

On Saturday evening, as I noted yesterday, I attended the New York State Fair. This is a ritual, of course, for anyone who lives in Syracuse and it parallels the events of the Kentucky State Fair.

One would think that the Kentucky State Fair could compete with people watching with New York, but Saturday's crowd surely outdid any other fair I've ever attended. I recall, too, visiting a Fair in Denmark (similar cast of characters), but New York wins hands down for the individuals you will see.

There is something spectacularly fascinating about the human race who attend such rituals. It is part science fiction, part fantasy, a little surreal, and a lot of avant guard. It feels like there's someone filming a movie about freak shows and dysfunctional families, and when I leave I'm not sure if I'm enlightened, humbled, horrified, or truly fascinated. All I know is that we can be extremely peculiar people...and it is in a quirky way, completely beautiful. I take pride that others look at me the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment