Friday, September 11, 2009

I treated yesterday like a weekend day, and opted to assist my brother-in-law to install a new furnace instead of spending my day nerd-deep in quirky geekdom and books. The installation was in the basement of a suburban home. I always feel like a school boy when I assist because I learn a lot, especially how intricate and complicated his work is. His skill set is one I don't have and I envy his knowledge and adroitness.

Work is an odd thing, as is labor. Coupled with this are $ signs and how we justify the cost of items, experiences or home repairs. All one needs to do is try to install a heater themselves and they will realize it is difficult work and requires expertise.

I'm a schlep as a helper. I can cut things, tape, do minor drilling, hold things and lift. I can also pick up trash. Yet, wiring and duct work is like surgery to me, dentistry. It takes knowledgeable hands and experience, the training I've never had. It is like engine repair and plumbing - an untapped literacy perfected by so many, yet a discourse unknown to me. I feel a little more educated today and fortunate to be schooled as an apprentice. It's too bad more experiences like this aren't offered in k - graduate school education.

No comments:

Post a Comment