Thursday, September 24, 2009

Feces Eating Slugs

Running along the roads these days, the trails are lined with road pizza snakes on their pre-hibernal hikes to get comfortable, yellow and browning leaves, and several piles of raccoon feces.

I notice these things because I run the same trails daily and I pay attention.

A few weeks ago, however, I began noticing that as I leaped over flattened snakes and raccoon crap, there was a new phenomenon I hadn't seen before. SLUGS. On every pile of bandit ca-ca, there were three or four hermaphroditic spotted slugs slurping away. Yes, poop is a milkshake to the gastropod mollusc and I did not know this. I looked it up and, sure enough, my eyes weren't deceiving me. Dung is dinnertime for these land boogers. Quirky, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment