Thursday, September 3, 2009

Luke, I'm not your father...but I'm a follower

This is a nerdy posting.

Two days ago, I discovered the research of Allan Luke. I've known it before, but this time it resonated with me. As I was reading one of his multiple publications, I came across a Joycian sentence that is now my favorite sentence in this lifetime. I can't say I know what it means, but I think I have a better clue now than I would have had ten years ago.

A brilliant, quirky mind is worth its weight in research. Here's his words:

“To proceed without such planning is to assume, as many post-National Reading Panel federal and state policies in the United States have done, that there can indeed be free-standing pedagogical and psychological decisions around the official classification and framing of literacy as school knowledge independent of broader sociological, linguistic, and ethnographic analyses of the functions and uses of literacy in multilingual and, indeed, multiliterate societies increasingly characterized by cultural and linguistic diversity and dynamic, hybrid textual and semiotic systems, and volatile flows of capital and discourse.”

If you unravel it, you belong in my circle of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment